Southeast Georgia Blacksmiths

Blacksmith Artists in the Southeast Georgia Region

I really liked getting to know more about you at Sapelo Island this past weekend!  Your group has a lot of excitement and you have put together a pretty good web site to keep everyone in-touch.  

I just want to pass along a couple of things I've created for the Alex Bealer and Ocmulgee guild newsletters over the past few years.   

For quite a number of years,  my forge had an 8” chimney a Centaur Forge half-hood. This setup worked fine most of the time, but it did produce a bit of smoke at times and the shop did develop a fine covering of soot in places. Now I have a strait 10” chimney and in place of the hood is a strange box that looks too small to do anything, but works like magic! This is a “super sucker” style forge hood based on plans posted on anvilfire (see www.anvilfire.com For their article).

My goal was to build something to dramatically improve the air quality in my shop. But because I don’t have access to sheet metal equipment it needed to be something simple to construct. The super sucker satisfied both goals. See the attached pdf file for details of that construction so that you may build your own.  

Views: 2704

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for sharing. I tend to go propane with my blade forging but this could be very useful with a smelting project I'm considering that uses charcoal. How big of a fire do you think this could handle?
With a 10" chimney flue, It seems that it captures smoke pretty good out to 14" or 16" in front of it. Beyond that the smoke escapes. I can see where you could add a piece of sheet metal to better capture smoke into the opening. But that's not needed for a side-draft forge.

I've tinkered with charcoal a little bit. I found it easy to blow it out of the firepot with my blower! What kind of setup are you considering?

Wes Peterson said:
Thanks for sharing. I tend to go propane with my blade forging but this could be very useful with a smelting project I'm considering that uses charcoal. How big of a fire do you think this could handle?
It would be a simple clay and refractory furnace about 12" tall and 4-5" wide with a connected chamber to preheat the blown air. You can use it to take low carbon or scrap metal and create high carbon steel ingots similar to original wootz (damascus) steel. Right now I'm first working on a charcoal retort so I can create my own fuel from scrap wood and then I'll build the furnace. This super sucker would be useful with both parts of my project.

Jim Guy said:
With a 10" chimney flue, It seems that it captures smoke pretty good out to 14" or 16" in front of it. Beyond that the smoke escapes. I can see where you could add a piece of sheet metal to better capture smoke into the opening. But that's not needed for a side-draft forge. I've tinkered with charcoal a little bit. I found it easy to blow it out of the firepot with my blower! What kind of setup are you considering?

Wes Peterson said:
JIM guy, this hood was designed by LESTER BECKMAN SEVERAL YEARS AGO AND I PUT IT ON ANVILEFIRE FOR FELLOW BLACKS TO BUILD IF THEY HAVE THE MEANS. I DO RECOMEND USING A 12'' STACK TO GET THE MAX. DRAW. IF ANYONE NEEDS ONE CONTACT ME THRU THIS SIGHT Or AT ( cooncreeksmitty1@charter.net ) Thanks Lester Beckman.
Jim Guy said:
With a 10" chimney flue, It seems that it captures smoke pretty good out to 14" or 16" in front of it. Beyond that the smoke escapes. I can see where you could add a piece of sheet metal to better capture smoke into the opening. But that's not needed for a side-draft forge.

I've tinkered with charcoal a little bit. I found it easy to blow it out of the firepot with my blower! What kind of setup are you considering?

Wes Peterson said:
Wes Peterson said:
It would be a simple clay and refractory furnace about 12" tall and 4-5" wide with a connected chamber to preheat the blown air. You can use it to take low carbon or scrap metal and create high carbon steel ingots similar to original wootz (damascus) steel. Right now I'm first working on a charcoal retort so I can create my own fuel from scrap wood and then I'll build the furnace. This super sucker would be useful with both parts of my project.

Jim Guy said:
With a 10" chimney flue, It seems that it captures smoke pretty good out to 14" or 16" in front of it. Beyond that the smoke escapes. I can see where you could add a piece of sheet metal to better capture smoke into the opening. But that's not needed for a side-draft forge. I've tinkered with charcoal a little bit. I found it easy to blow it out of the firepot with my blower! What kind of setup are you considering?

Wes Peterson said:

Hi Jim, thank to your doc, I could build a super-sucker for my also newly built coal smithy (up to now, I was using a gas smithy). The flue has a diameter of 250 cm (roughly 10"). The first image doesn't need a comment, it sucks !

The 2nd image shows the whole stuff. At top, you can see that the flue is going from circle to square, because I wanted to avoid too much section reduction, and the actual chimney has a square section. When my shop was built, that chimney was used for a  wood stove, this is why you can still see at the very top a round plate where the stove flue  (6") got into the chimney.

Thanks and regards,

Michel.

Attachments:

That looks very well built!   I'm glad it's working out for you!

Jim

I couldn't build one as cheap as I could buy it from Lester. Mine is on 13" flue and sucks the coal from the far side of the fire, much less the smoke.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Wes Peterson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service